Did you know that your gently worn sneakers could help?
Well, they can and here’s how…we are participating in a fundraiser where there is nothing to buy or sell; All we need is your support and your gently worn, used, or new sneakers!
UPDATE: The Hampton United Methodist Church continues to collect sneakers to be recycled.
Here’s how you can help:
Start in your and your family’s closets and gather as many pair of sneakers that you no longer want; maybe you’ve out-grown them, they’re out of style, or out of season. If you and your household have 20 pairs, great! If not, don’t worry. You can ask your neighbors, friends, co-workers, and anyone in your social networks to help out. Every pair counts!
The sneakers that we all collect will help raise money to support our projects AND will help our environment by keeping sneakers out of landfills.
Can we count on you?
Did you know?
- Manufacturing sneakers produces large amounts of CO2 which contributes to the serious effects of climate change and global warming.
- Recycling and reusing sneakers keeps sneakers out of landfills, reduces the need for manufacturing new shoes and sneakers, and supports a growing circular economy.
- In the United States, at least 200 million pairs of shoes and sneakers end up in landfills each year.
- Shoes in landfills can take 30 to 40 years to decompose.
- Harmful chemicals are emitted into the soil and air which pollutes our surroundings.